Lizards at Garcon Point - May 21

I did a bit of herping out at Garcon Point Nature Trail in the spring so here are some of the more notable photos. I also saw a couple snakes: common garters, racers, and ribbon snakes, but I didn't get any pictures that made the cut.
Not a lizard but: This salmon-coloured moth was completely delightful, fluttering around the shrubbery. The wildflower display in this park, particularly in the fall, attracts and arsenal of insects, particularly butterflies and moths. Side note: I was nearly transported to heaven in a cloud of deer flies.

A large male broad-headed skink. In the breeding season, the heads turn a magnificent red colour.

A juvenile broad-headed skink... I think. It's rather difficult to tell some of the Eumeces species apart. This, and the above photo, could just as easily be a five-lined skink, since I certainly do not have the differences nailed down. However, both these lizards seem to have five labial (upper lip) scales rather than four, which would mean they are both broad-headed skinks, not five-lined.

No comments:

Post a Comment